For its opening at Grand Hills, restaurant Pasquale invited Italian chef Ivan Nonis. We interviewed him to know better about his culinary background.
- Chef Ivan Nonis, you’re coming for two weeks to Lebanon especially for the opening of Pasquale at Grand Hills, can you tell us about your background? Born in 1979, in a lovely village of Friuli Venezia Giulia (north east of Italy), I am specialized in authentic Italian cuisine. My house, located in Concordia Sagittaria, Veneto, is a little city founded in 42 A.C. by the Roman Empire. In my birthplace and thanks to the influence of my grandmother first, then my mother after, I have learnt the passion of the good traditional Venetian food and wine. As a natural consequence for my passion, I attended the Hotel Culinary Institute, then worked across Italy and many European countries.
- What influenced your career and where have you worked till now? The discovery of other cultures and traditions influenced my style and my recipes. Some of the most famous places where I have spent my culinary journey, are: «Restaurant Villa dei Dogi» (Caorle, Venezia), «Antico Martini» (Venezia) , «Club resort Villa del Mare» (Livorno), «La coltellerie» (Avignone France, with Pietre Pomel), till the present Crown Plaza Hotel in Milano. Now at 37 years old, I have become a Chef open to all new and innovative ideas in the modern gourmet scene, but always with a firm grip into traditions. I personally believe that in order to achieve the greatest goals in life, you must always have firm foundations on solid grounds.
- Why did you choose Broumana as a destination to execute your gastronomic chef-d’oeuvre? Beirut is a culinary landmark in the Middle East and the region and I am very happy to have visited Grand Hills and Broumana that left me amazed by its heritage and atmosphere.
- What characterizes your visit to Pasquale? I came to Pasquale to prepare new dishes mixing the Italian fine gastronomy with the Lebanese summer vibes, giving customers an unforgettable experience. For the opening and for two weeks, I will be giving special live cooking sessions where I will execute the finest Italian dishes, giving food lovers a glimpse of the world of Italian pasta. In addition to that I chose Pasquale situated in Grand Hills, in the heart of Broumana village, for its décor that features a design leaving guests immersed by its vibrant interior, as well as its exterior garden and trained personnel’s courteous and warm welcome.
- Do you have special recipes that you can share with us? Of course, the selection that I will give you is pure traditional Italian gastronomy.
Seafood Bresaola Tiramisu